Month: May 2017

Boxers and Brief Updates

I know this is dated but: Surprise bitch, I bet you thought you’d seen the last of me.

Things have been a bit hectic what with starting a new job and such, but I wanted to take the time to update y’all on the progress of it all.

First off, I am a lot farther along with the TypeChart than I expected to be by this point in the summer. I’m proud to say I already have a static typechart functionality, which allows users to check either offensive or defensive advantages and disadvantages of a certain type just by clicking on its corresponding button, which is actually something that I’m very proud of. The next steps I want to take in the program’s process are a lot more complex though, and may be the most complicated GUI that I’ve ever implemented on my own once completed.

 For the next phase, I want to implement a simulation mode where you can input the type of the offensive move, and the type(s) of the pokemon on the receiving end, and display the resulting damage modifier should this attack land (either 4x, 2x, 1x, .5x,.25x, 0x), or vice versa if you want to start with defending pokemon. This will prove to be challenging, as it will require a lot more state tracking and GUI manipulation, but I am very excited to sink my teeth into this challenge.

 Before I sign off, though, I want to provide an update of how my internship is going at Gateway Health Plan. Although it is not as intensive of a programming environment as I would have preferred, I can tell even only after a couple of days on the job that this internship is going to be a rewarding and educational experience, whether I like it or not.

Sorry to drop in with rapid fire updates and then jet, but there are these things called naps and friends’ 21st birthdays and I need to do one before the other if I expect to survive this summer. I’ll let you figure out which one.

 Til next time,

Adam “I’m furious that I already used the Dolly Parton movie joke last year” Hayes

P.S. I have committed the code with the static typechart to my GitHub if you want to take a look

Advertisements

Hire Emblem: Resume Padding

Hey y’all, the semester just ended so I finally find myself in a position to stop and just breathe as I prepare myself for my summer internship at Gateway Health Plan, and after two weeks of Fire Emblem ROM hacks and binging Twin Peaks, I finally feel ready to return to the Steel City, the City of Steel ™, and get back into work mode before my internship starts on the 22nd. As I still have one more week of “downtime” before starting at Gateway, meaning that I am picking up some hours at the IT help desk that I part time at during the school year, I wanted to try out a little side project, and if all goes well with it, I may make more of these lil guys throughout the summer to keep my programming skills as sharp as the tip of a pegasus knight’s spear (like I said, 2 solid weeks of fire emblem and NOTHING ELSE), and also to delve into areas of programming that I currently don’t have that much experience with. Which brings me to the actual project itself: An interactive move and pokemon typing chart.

My reasons for picking this project were twofold: First, I wanted to get more experience with Event-Driven programming and working with GUIs, and I wanted to be able to care less about complicated behind-the-scenes operations and more about creating a pleasant GUI to give myself some front-end development experience. Second, I’m a nerd who plays pokemon a lot.

I am excited to get started on this project because it is something I’ve wanted to do for a while now but just haven’t had time for it between studying abroad last summer and taking major coarse loads during my junior year, and I can’t wait to share my progress and what I have learned. I’m going to start including links to my GitHub in case y’all might be interested on tracking progress, or if you just want to use the software once it’s been completed.

Smell ya later folks!